Popular Posts

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Arizona V. Utah: Not a court case, just a rant.

Once again, I find myself unable to sleep. There's part of me that believes that my insomnia for tonight is stemming from the supposed "Super Moon" everyone on the Twitterverse has been hyping about. Although, from my back porch, the apparent size of the lunar clump just seems to be the same but with a brighter glow. In fact, the gleam of florescent tinge hitting my back yard is actually lighting parts of the abyss I normally don't get to see at night. So here I am at 12:42 AM my time with exhaustion from the day and a rampant mind. What am I about to write about you say? The recent change in immigration talks by the GOP that has flummoxed, well, the GOP themselves.

Utah recently passed a complex legislation on immigration. It seems the Republican iron fists in Utah have finally had an epiphany, immigrants aren't the enemy after all, the Do-Nothing attitude of the federal government is. By enacting such laws I believe two finite things will occur, (1) some WingNut will sue and (2) it may lead to more states branching off from the Arizona-esque laws. I've been told by some that I am very hopeful in my thinking that Comprehensive Immigration Reform will pass soon and I still hold that belief. It's not just a matter of principle for myself but it's also within my Christian belief. You may be thinking "oh no, religion and politics, this guy is about to go on a rant about the Constitution." Although tempting as it is, I allude to Christianity because for all intensive purposes, Utah is Latter Day Saints in majority.

God will it? No, I can't speculate on divine intervention. However, I do know that most religious affiliated organizations do hail to the pro-migrant side of arguments. As a matter of fact, a handful of Christian organizations have come out in full support of the Dream Act, even with its defeat in the Senate back in December 2010, they still place faith in change. I think with the recent change in tone, maybe Christians will be the voice resonating immigration reform. It seems that although the GOP and Democrats will continue to play politics with this issue, maybe they'll all agree to be good Christians? It's a stretch but I am open minded to the idea that those in congress do have a heart somewhere deep deep beneath those sharp tongues and sneaky demeanor.

Assuming the last two paragraphs were a bunch of crock from the depths of my soul, lets get down to business. It is always about business after all when dealing with immigration and politics. The Republicans in Utah most likely passed the law because it wouldn't harm their already robust economy, and it would actually add to their net worth. Lets face it, Utah knows how to balance its check books and keep everything in the positive. If you don't believe me then take a very close look at Arizona. As if Arizona was even in a position to delegate on any more immigration matters they once again tried to pass even more unbearable laws. Unfortunately for those hot shots in charge, their show of power was shoved off to the side by none other than their true constituents, BIG BUSINESS. Businesses from all over stepped in and finally said "enough is enough". Falling face first to the floor, the Arizona legislature should definitely take a hint. (Hint: The people would like their $XXX million in tourism revenues back please.)

In my last blog I mentioned how businesses ran the show, and this just confirms my crack pot theory. If businesses, whether big or small, keep the pressure on their governing bodies then something will eventually happen in terms of reform. If you are a believer that our economy will stand on solid ground without the help of immigrants (whether legal or illegal), foreigners or the rest of the world, then you haven't flipped over your "I heart America" coffee mugs that reads "made in China", lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment